What We Do:
At PESI Publishing, we create books and resources in the areas of psychology, education, and self-help, with worldwide sales and distribution. What sets us apart as a publisher is that we see no limits, no bounds to what we can do. Our entrepreneurial and creative spirit, along with our marketing savvy, drive our business. We take great pride that every book is a genuine partnership and highly collaborative journey with our author, something that is unique in the industry.
Overview of the PESI Publishing Team:
The PESI Publishing team is a rapidly growing independent publisher that produces mental health workbooks, treatment guides, children’s books, flip charts, and therapeutic card decks for clinicians, educators, and other professionals. Our recently launched trade imprint, Bridge City Books, produces self-help resources, memoirs, and other self-improvement books that “bridge” the gap between our clinical audience and the everyday person.
We work with respected experts, thought leaders, and professionals in the fields of psychology, wellness, parenting, personal growth, and more, including Amazon and New York Times bestselling authors such as Lori Gottlieb, Judson Brewer, Daniel Siegel, Janina Fisher, David Burns, and more! Our mission is to connect knowledge with need, and in that spirit, we strive to create straightforward, practical, and credible resources that make information easily accessible to all.
We publish 30 to 40 titles annually and are only growing every year. Our collaborative team works in a fast-paced environment, takes calculated risks, and brings passion to everything we do (and we actually mean it!).
What You Will Be Doing: (responsibilities)
You’re the right candidate if you’re energetic and ready to put in the work, take note of the brand we’ve built, and ultimately desire to grow our impressive catalog of resources. Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Acquiring new titles and authors in the mental health space, including psychology, education, social-emotional skills, and self-help
- Researching industry trends, competitive titles, marketability of content areas, and professional needs in the relevant fields, and identifying untapped market opportunities
- Maintaining sales metrics and data for new and backlist titles to drive future acquisition and marketing opportunities
- Negotiating publishing contracts with authors and literary agents
- Writing catalog copy, jacket copy, metadata, and sales materials for each book acquired
- Overseeing all production phases including, editing, titling, creative design direction, production, and to print
- Cultivating and managing relationships with authors and literary agents
- Planning and strategizing the launch of each book acquired by coordinating with in-house marketing team.
What You Bring to the Team: (skills and requirements)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area
- Minimum 3–5 years of relevant book acquisitions, or behavioral health experience
- Genuine interest in or knowledge of the field of psychology, mental health, self-help, education, and personal growth
- Excellent editorial judgment and ability to engage in creative problem-solving and decision-making with manuscripts that aren’t meeting standards
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to be supportive of other team members as well as authors
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Willingness to take data-driven, calculated risks
- Adept multitasking skills with the ability to quickly adapt to shifting goals and deadlines.
What Would Thrill Us:
- Network of publishing-industry contacts
- Experience with foreign and audio rights
- Editorial experience in combination with a background as a licensed psychologist, counselor, social worker, educator, or related field is considered a strong plus
- A desire to be a part of a growing publisher that doesn’t always follow industry norms (and is willing to break some rules)!
How We Do It:
Our people create our success: We listen and learn, and we strive to meet or exceed the expectations of our customers, associates, and vendors.
We go direct and assume competence: We expect open, honest, and ethical relationships, both internally and externally.
We encourage you to be an entrepreneur: Our associates view their position or area as if it were their own business and make decisions accordingly.
We aim for innovation and creativity: Continuous improvement and falling forward is what facilitates our ability to meet our mission of connecting knowledge with need.
Perks of Working for Us:
- Remote or hybrid
- Be part of a collaborative team of book lovers and marketers
- Generous benefits package
- Incentive plan
- 401(k) with above-market match that immediately vests
- Professional development opportunities and tuition assistance
What Else You Should Know About Us:
We are an organization that loves to play the game of business, and we are unapologetically driven and dedicated to not only publish a book but sell it as well. We are incredibly humbled and energized by the thought that our books and resources have the power to change lives.
Candidates must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States following an offer of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PESI is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected status. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Share this job posting with your friends. https://www.pesi.com/careers/7223/acquisitions-editor-pesi-publishing