- Digital Seminar
- Downloadable/Streaming MP4 Video and MP3 Audio with electronic manual and instructions.
- VALERIE VESTAL, MSN, PMHNP-BC
- PESI HealthCare
- CE Available:
- No, CE credit is not available
- Product Code:
- Examine the pharmacology behind the substances of abuse seen presently in practice.
- Analyze how dementia and delirium will present differently.
- Evaluate de-escalation techniques for a variety of violent patient behaviors.
- Recognize the terminology used to refer to street drugs today.
- Effectively screen and assess for substance use disorders.
- Devise strategies to ensure your safety, while caring for an aggressive patient.
- Explain predictors of suicide, when evaluating a patient’s risk.
- Plan for a patient who threatens to harm himself or another.
The Psychosocial Assessment
- Differential diagnosis
- Assess level of consciousness
- Quick identification of physical problems that can lead to psychiatric symptoms
- Immediate safety concerns/danger to self
- Techniques to bring calm
- Psychosis related to medical conditions – delirium, endocrine disorders, cardiovascular disorders, pulmonary disorders
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
Drug Related Emergencies
- Withdrawal – delirium tremens
- Acute stage – detoxification, medical interventions
- Stabilization stage
Violent and Aggressive Behaviors
- Acute management and stabilization
Mood Disorder Emergencies
- Self-destructive behaviors
- Self-mutilating behaviors
- Suicidal risk
- Predictors of suicide
- Suspecting a drug overdose
- Strategies for your own safety
- De-escalation techniques
- Major depressive disorder
- Bipolar disorders – manic episodes
Families in Crisis
- Domestic violence survivor
- Rape survivor
- Acute stress reaction
- Children/adolescent needs
- Geriatric emergencies
- Crisis intervention – for individuals, couples, an entire family
VALERIE VESTAL, MSN, PMHNP-BC
Valerie R. Vestal, MSN, PMHNP-BC., is a Board-Certified Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. She has worked both in a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) and in an outpatient private practice. In the PHP program, she has been responsible to identify patients at high risk for aggression and those who have histories of repeated violent behavior. Valerie is skilled at managing crisis intervention, minimizing physical and psychological harm for staff and patients.
Additionally, she serves in the United States Navy Reserve and was deployed to the Warrior Transition Program. Valerie was responsible to ease the reintegration process for sailors and families. She also continues to provide health assessments and psychological evaluations for military members.
Valerie is a highly sought-after speaker, typically focusing on challenging patient behaviors. She has shared her expertise with multidisciplinary audiences throughout the country and a sea on a cruise ship.
Financial: Valerie Vestal is the director and founder of Platinum Performance by Valerie. She has an employment relationship with Moodtreatment Center. Ms. Vestral receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Valerie Vestal has no relevant non-financial relationship to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Credit is not available for this product.
- Nurse Practitioners
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Physician Assistants
- Case Managers
- Social Workers
- Mental Health Professionals
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI HealthCare, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.