- Digital Seminar
- Downloadable/Streaming MP4 Video and MP3 Audio with electronic manual and instructions.
- VALERIE VESTAL, MSN, PMHNP-BC
- PESI HealthCare
- CE Available:
- No, CE credit is not available
- Product Code:
- Determine criteria for high-risk behavior.
- Apply interpersonal effectiveness skills to patient evaluation.
- Analyze effective strategies to de-escalate dangerous behavior.
- Assess for the symptoms of major illness that interfere with treatment.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your communication skills to de-escalate aggressive behavior.
- Compare approaches to various high-risk patient profiles.
Lowering Risk for Dangerousness in Patient Encounters
- Priority is Safety
- Understanding Risk for Dangerousness
- Mechanisms for Coping
- Strategies to Deal with the Angry Patient
Evaluating the Patient
- Treatment Focused
- Do No Harm
- Clear Boundaries
Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills
- Ask the Right Questions
- Understand Patient’s Motivation
- Motivational Interviewing: Asking, Listen, Inform
- Engage Patients in Focused Communication
- Listen with Empathy
- Empower the Patient
Engage Patients in Focused Communication
- What Type of Communicator Are You?
- Reciprocal Communication Strategies
- Clinician Self-Care
Treatment Team Concept
- Understand Patient’s Level of Communication
- Support the Patient’s Goal
- Multi-Disciplinary Intervention
Understanding Challenging Symptoms
- Navigating Difficult Dynamics
- Mediation & Leadership Roles
- Engage Families Constructively
Severe Mental Illness
- The Mentally Ill Patient
- Know Your Limits
- Understand Chronic & Severe Mental Illness
Disorders with Unique Risk
- Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective Disorders
- Substance-Induced Psychosis
- Bipolar Disorder
- Major Depression
- Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Antisocial Personality Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Developmental Disabilities
- Substance Abuse
- Special Considerations for Violent Patients
- Sexual Assault
- Domestic Violence
- Suicidal Ideation & Risk
VALERIE VESTAL, MSN, PMHNP-BC
Valerie R. Vestal, MSN, PMHNP-BC., is a Board-Certified Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. She has worked both in a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) and in an outpatient private practice. In the PHP program, she has been responsible to identify patients at high risk for aggression and those who have histories of repeated violent behavior. Valerie is skilled at managing crisis intervention, minimizing physical and psychological harm for staff and patients.
Additionally, she serves in the United States Navy Reserve and was deployed to the Warrior Transition Program. Valerie was responsible to ease the reintegration process for sailors and families. She also continues to provide health assessments and psychological evaluations for military members.
Valerie is a highly sought-after speaker, typically focusing on challenging patient behaviors. She has shared her expertise with multidisciplinary audiences throughout the country and a sea on a cruise ship.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Credit is not available for this product.
- Nurse Practitioners
- Nurse Educators
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Physician Assistants
- Nursing Home Administrators
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Risk Managers
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI HealthCare, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.