Now Available For Preorder
This item is expected to ship 4-6 weeks after the event on April 3, 2019.
- DVD Video - 8+ hours Instructions
- 13 hr 0 min
- Multi-disc DVD recording with electronic manual and instructions.
- SEAN G. SMITH, C-EFM, C-NPT, FP-C, TP-C, RNC-NIC, CEN, CFRN, CPEN, CCRN-CMC (ADULT), CCRN-K (NEONATAL), CCRN-K (PEDIATRIC)
- PESI HealthCare
- 4/3/2019 - Available Now for Pre-Order
- CE Available:
- Yes, See CE credit tab for complete continuing education details
- Product Code:
- Identify current challenges relative to your specific practice environment and patient populations.
- Develop a proactive plan to respond to your deteriorating patient.
- Learn the mental strategies necessary for success, self-care, and process improvement when dealing with critically ill patients.
- Integrate a comprehensive review of systems, with subtle but key red flag clinical assessment findings.
- Incorporate a graduate level understanding of pharmacology into your current clinical practice with respect to the pre-, peri-, and post-arrest management of the medically fragile patient.
- Apply advanced laboratory medicine concepts into your current clinical practice with respect to the “at risk” patient.
- Recognize the subtle signs from the “perfect storm” patient.
- Choose the best interventions for stabilization of the deteriorating patient.
- Determine the key interventions to stabilize the successfully resuscitated patient prior to or post transfer.
- Analyze the latest clinical practice guidelines for common pathologies and comorbidities.
- Evaluate landmark case studies to identify key failures in recognition and rescue of the crashing patient.
- Assess legal documentation strategies to protect yourself and your practice.
Proactive Planning: Begin with the End in Mind
Advanced Assessment: Next Level Connection of Form and Function
- Pre-Planning for the worst at every patient encounter
- Mental strategies for success
- Failure to rescue and how to avoid it
- Proactive risk assessment of practice environment/patient populations
- Clear coherent communication of high-risk information
- Concise comprehensive management of the crashing patient: Before, during and after the code
Pathology: Priority Problems, Rapid Recognition and Rescue
- Review of Major Systems (Neurologic, Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, Multisystem)
- Integrated advanced laboratory medicine/Clinical implications
- Differential diagnosis/ Consults/Follow up studies
- For each of the 25+ pathologies below, the following will be discussed:
- Presentation: Rapid review of form and function
- Pathophysiology: Complications/Comorbidities
- Projected clinical course: Where are we going with this?
- Palliation and pharmacology: Cutting-edge practice guidelines
- Neuromuscular Disorders, Meningitis, Toxicology (Overdose), Traumatic Brain Injury/Concussion, Stroke/TIA, Dementia/Delirium, Agitated/Combative Patients
- Dysrhythmias, Acute Coronary Syndrome, CHF, Heart Failure, Cardiomyopathies
- Endocarditis, Pericarditis, Peripheral Vascular Disease
Metabolic/Endocrine Complex Comorbidities and Emergencies
- Asthma/Upper Respiratory, Anaphylaxis, Aspiration/Dysphagia, COPD, Pneumonia
- Chronic/Acute Kidney Disease, Renal Calculi, Hypertension, Diabetes
- Cholecystitis, Pancreatitis, Cirrhosis, Hepatitis, Infection (UTI, STI, etc.)
Shock States, Sepsis, and Trauma
- Screening for: Abuse, Neglect, Depression/Suicidal Ideation
Legal Lessons: Protect Your Practice… Tips, Tricks, Pearls, and Pitfalls
- Hypovolemic, Distributive, Obstructive
- Multisystem Management of the Poly-trauma Patient
Putting It All Together: CaseBased Review
Identify Key Missed Moments, Lessons Learned and Best Practices
- Professional issues/Potential pitfalls (Delegation, Scope, EMTALA, etc)
- Rapid risk assessment and analysis
- Limit liability
- Defensible documentation
SEAN G. SMITH, C-EFM, C-NPT, FP-C, TP-C, RNC-NIC, CEN, CFRN, CPEN, CCRN-CMC (ADULT), CCRN-K (NEONATAL), CCRN-K (PEDIATRIC)
Sean G. Smith is a flight nurse-paramedic who has practiced in Emergency Medicine, Critical Care, and Aero-Medical Transport (military and civilian). He holds degrees in nursing and molecular biology, is a graduate of Duke University's Legal Nurse Consulting program, and is currently pursuing a master's degree through the University of Florida College of Pharmacy.
Career highlights include numerous author/co-author credits, including: the book Laboratory Tests Made Easy with Mikel Rothenberg (PESI, 2014), a best-selling Laboratory Medicine textbook, a chapter on Shock in Trauma Nursing Core Curriculum, and a section in the Resuscitation Crisis Manual (Leeuwin Press, 2018). Sean consults on clinical, legal and certification prep for numerous high-profile hospital systems, including Yale and Mayo. He routinely lectures at national/international healthcare conferences, has completed 50+ medical missions, and provides medical support to the NASA Space Shuttle Program.
Financial: Sean G. Smith receives a speaking honorarium from PESI, Inc.
Non-financial: Sean G. Smith has no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Continuing Education Credits
CE Information Coming Soon
Continuing education credit information is coming soon for this non-interactive self-study package.
CEs may be available for select professions, as listed in the target audience. Hours will be dependent on the actual recording time. Please check with your state licensing board or organization for specific requirements.
There may be an additional fee for CE certificates. Please contact our Customer Service at 1-800-844-8260 for more details.
**Materials that are included in this course may include interventions and modalities that are beyond the authorized practice of mental health professionals. As a licensed professional, you are responsible for reviewing the scope of practice, including activities that are defined in law as beyond the boundaries of practice in accordance with and in compliance with your professions standards.
- RNs, RTs, NPs, and PAs from Medical-Surgical floors
- Critical Care
- Urgent Care
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Anyone desiring next-level skills to proactively assess and intervene in the crashing critically ill patient!
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to PESI HealthCare, P.O. Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call (800) 844-8260.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at (800) 844-8260.